iPads WILL NOT Make a Difference in Your Classroom!

The Omaha World-Herald has an article today on the use of iPads in schools. This particular article focuses on K-12, but the topic is relevant in higher education as well, where many institutions are piloting iPad programs. More importantly, there is a statement made in this article that I think applies to the use of instructional technology, in general.

“So far, there are no studies indicating whether iPads can make a difference in education…”

And there never will be. Ever.

As an instructional technologist, I hear comments all the time about money being spent on technology that does not “make a difference.” Well, guess what? It isn’t the technology that’s doing the teaching or learning! Putting iPads in instructors’ and students’ hands will never “make a difference in education” if they aren’t being used in a meaningful way. A pencil doesn’t make a difference if it’s being used to doodle on a desk, and an iPad doesn’t make a difference if it’s being used to play Angry Birds (an educational difference, that is… I know some of you are very proud of your Angry Birds accomplishments… I also know some of you have no idea what I’m talking about).

If you are a person who doesn’t like to use technology, then I get that (although I will try to convert you). However, let’s not blame the poor interactive whiteboard that’s collecting dust for not making a difference, because someone else on campus is using one in ways that do make a difference.

So, I must break the news to you that, should you find yourself with a windfall of iPads, they will not make a difference in your classroom… but the ways in which you choose to use them just might.