Don’t Make Me Think – Krug

Don’t Make Me Think – Krug

Don't Make Me Think (Revisited)

Steve Krug

New Riders, 2014

ISBN -9780321965516

216 pages

I know what you're thinking: I'm not creating websites, I'm not going to touch this book.

Fair. However, you are designing user experiences EVERY day as a teacher, librarian, instructor, whatever. And we both know you made the joke "Based on the title, my students have read this and taken it to heart"

The focus of this book is geared toward web design, however, the concepts within are ALL about UX and how the user interacts with anything you've created.

Think of it this way: how often do students connect with materials because we included a silly video or meme that we made literally that morning, even if the content didn't change at all, they suddenly are alert and paying attention? How many times did we create an amazing learning experience only to have it fail because it relied on Wifi, which is suddenly and inexplicably down this hour?

Website and app creators use concepts from psychology and marketing to get you to play their game more. Why can't you turn the table and use a book on web design to make your homework assignments better?